Mom and Dad

Mom and Dad
Our Light of Love is Still Burning Bright!

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Our Love Story

[I asked Mom to write this for me so I'm sharing it for all of who haven't heard the full story.]

OUR STORY
When I was 16 years old our family moved from West Provo to Pleasant View, just a little west of where the Provo Temple sits now. My parents bought a home on Canyon Road, across the street and a little south of the Sterling and Melba Cluff home. The Cluffs owned a grocery store and feed mill which was next to their home. Soon after we moved there I was sent to the store to purchase something for my mother. While there I noticed a tall, good looking boy putting canned goods on the shelfs. He was wearing a white apron with his name "Rulon" embroidered in red on the front. We had not been to any ward meetings as yet so I knew none of the young people in the ward. But I remember I was quite interested in who ever this Rulon was.

I was enrolled to begin my high school years at B.Y. High and he was a year ahead of me at Lincoln High. So it was mostly through ward activities that brought us together. We dated some that summer and the next year. The next school year I decided I wanted to go to school where all the ward kids went and especially where this Rulon Cluff went. So I changed high schools, thinking it would be a wonderful, fun year for me. But it was not to be - not yet.

Rulon played the drums in the high school band and in his senior year was asked to be the drum major. There was also a really cute red head in the band who played the flute and had taken a liking to this tall, good looking drum major and he to her. They were together often with all the practices that year and into the summer parades so it was inevitable that we would stop seeing each other.

The next school year I went back to B.Y.High and also that year a new family moved into the ward. Doug was out of high school and we began to date. He was a good young man and liked to sing, so we sang a lot together as we drove around in his car. But he didn't have plans to go on a mission. One of my goals was to marry a returned missionary and this was often the topic of our dating. He received his mission call to the New England States Mission and I was wearing his engagement ring. About two months before that Rulon had left for his mission to the Texas Louisiana Mission, the pretty red head also wearing an engagement ring.

This soap opera gets even better - or more unbelieveable.

Rulon returned home from his mission a free man as the cute red head had decided it wasn't to be. And I knew I still had feelings for him - but what was I to do?

The young adults in the ward planned an outing to the Manti Temple for those who had a temple recommend. I had gotten a recommend when one of my friends was married and wanted me to be there, so I was able to go. Rulon drove his father's car with another friend in the passenger and me and two girls in the back. On the way home I am not sure how it happened, but I was in the front seat and all the others in the back. That night I knew I was still in love with this young man who had broken my heart earlier. Of course he took me home last and we had a long talk. I was still wearing Doug's ring so there was much to talk about.

At this time I was working in the Cluff store, so Rulon and I saw each other often but I knew I must make a hard decision concerning Doug, whom I really did not want to hurt. Rulon and I communicated a little by writing silly messages to each other and leaving them in a certain place in the store - not wanting others to know as yet that that light of love had not burned out.

Doug married a wonderful girl and they had a nice family. They lived in Carol and Riley's stake in Boise when Doug passed away from diabetes several years ago. At the funeral Doug's wife told Carol that Doug thanked his old girl friend for him going on a mission for which he was thankful. I was glad to hear that.

So, dear Son, this is our story. We have been married 55 years this year and happy to say that light of love is still burning bright.

I love you very much,

Mom

1 comment:

tmcluff said...

Rod, This is a great idea. I look forward to catching up with everyone in the family. We miss so much by living far away.
Tawnya